To keep your jewelry in tip-top shape, learn what to avoid and how to care for your precious metals and natural gemstones with the care instructions below.
Caring For and Wearing Your Jewelry
- To help protect the durability and high-quality of your jewelry, remove your jewelry when you shower, bathe or engage in heavy exercise, particularly when swimming in the sea or a chlorinated swimming pool.
- All of our gemstones are natural and therefore can be vulnerable to absorbing dirt and to chipping. Settings may also become loose over-time.
- Avoid spraying perfume, applying creams or any other liquids directly onto your jewelry.
- Keep your jewelry away from extreme temperatures, humidity or sunlight.
- Avoid wearing your jewelry when using bleach, cleaning products and other chemicals.
How to Store Your Jewelry
- We highly recommend that you store your jewelry in the original KATHRYN New York packaging provided or another suitably lined box or soft pouch and place a small packet of desiccant crystals in the packaging if you live in a humid climate.
- Ideally store your pieces of jewelry separately, so that they don't rub together or become tangled.
Cleaning Precious Metals
- To keep your jewelry looking radiant and to remove the build-up of dirt and premature tarnish we recommend using a polishing cloth. Rub the piece in one direction rather than circular motions.
- A Silver cleaner can be used to clean Sterling Silver pieces but not 24ct yellow or rose gold vermeil.
- Do not use tissue paper or paper towels to clean metal as they can cause scratching.
- Since many natural gemstones can be quite delicate, hot water, harsh chemicals and cleaners should be avoided at all times.
- Clean your gemstones with a clean, soft, damp cloth after wearing.
- Do not use tissue paper or paper towels to clean gemstones as they can cause scratching.
How to Prevent Tarnishing
- All our Sterling Silver product is protected with an anti-tarnish solution to help prevent tarnish but this may eventually wear with time.
- Silver tarnishes rapidly when exposed to certain substances in our everyday lives so we recommend caring for, wearing and storing your jewelry as mentioned above.
Nickel is a trace metal which can be found in any precious metals such as silver or gold, it is also classified as an allergen.
We do not add Nickel to KATHRYN New York jewelry, however trace amounts can be found in some of the metals used in our pieces.
We have a comprehensive program to test for all trace metals which are potentially harmful. This is conducted by an independent laboratory to ensure they are below the legal standard, however, a very small number of people who are hypersensitive may suffer a reaction. Please inform our Customer Care team if this affects you.
Every KATHRYN New York piece comes with our Warranty. This means that if you accidently damage your KATHRYN New York piece, we’ll repair this for you at no cost within the first 3 months following your purchase. After 3 months, you can take advantage of our Lifetime Repair Service with minor repair costs incurred. If you need a repair, please use our contact us page or write to us directly at email@example.com.